Our History

For over 75 years, Pigott has been creating inspiring places for people to do their best work. 

From our early days in the 1940's as a supply company to our partnership in the 1970's with Herman Miller, one thing has remained constant - our commitment to quality relationships that stand the test of time. We extend this commitment to our products and designs, ensuring you solutions that exceed your needs today and long into the future. Our strong history in the Midwest and service across the country represents our values and goals of doing the right thing for our business partners, customers and communities.

1940s

Pigott was founded by 35-year-old Fred Pigott as Pigott Supply Company. The company mission was to supply furniture and equipment to schools with “honesty and integrity.” 

1950s

The original Pigott building was purchased – 3815 Ingersoll Avenue. It was originally a horse barn that had been built for the 1879 Iowa State Fair, when the fair was held in Brown’s park (in the present-day North of Grand neighborhood). The Pigott office remains on this land today. 



The new office building was built, and the current building remains in this building shell. Sales grew post-WWII as baby boomers swelled the enrollment of schools, and Pigott shifted school supplies to school equipment and furnishings. In the late 50’s the company was incorporated, and the name changed to Pigott, Inc. 


1970s

Pigott became a dealer for the Health Sciences Division of Herman Miller, and the State of Iowa Wallace building labs were the first Herman Miller Iowa project. Pigott expanded service capabilities to include design, planning, and installation services.


1980s

Pigott expanded into the Cedar Rapids market.

1990s

Pigott expanded to the Davenport market. In 1998, Pigott joined Herman Miller’s certified dealer network. 


2000s

Pigott was awarded Herman Miller’s Alloy Cube, ranking first among all Herman Miller dealers for service and market share. John Stenberg purchased Pigott and became a third-generation owner of the family business. 



2010s

Pigott grew to 100 employees, expanded to the Dubuque market and completed the Des Moines Living Office showroom renovation. In 2018 Pigott expanded to the South Dakota market, becoming the certified Herman Miller dealer for the state of South Dakota.